A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jun 11 19:40:07 CEST 2006

Michael Everson scripsit:

> It is a matter of fallback representation, not
> semantics. "Provençal" and "Provencal" are
> supposed to mean the same thing but one is
> preferred. The same goes for typographic
> punctuation, and PLEASE don't fight over this.

I should like to know whom it helps to include "’" in a
plain-text document.  We cannot use the actual character for technical
IETF reasons; we can use the ASCII equivalent '.  No information
is lost by using it, whereas there are minimal pairs (though
not in English) involving ç and c.

--
Ambassador Trentino: I've said enough. I'm a man of few words.
Rufus T. Firefly: I'm a man of one word: scram!