A proposed solution for descriptions (was: Re: ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko)

Vidar Larsen vi_larsen at yahoo.no
Sun Jun 11 10:02:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm a longtime lurker on this list. I'm not a linguist, but have
intimate experience with internet search engines, text matching and
unicode. I've been working on websearch indexing and query parsing
for 5+ years, as an employee of FAST (www.alltheweb.com), now Yahoo!.

During indexing, both unicode normalization forms and more ad hoc
normalizing may be applied to resolve issues of accents on individual
characters. Case-normalizing is also done.
The same happens during query parsing, but the original form may be
given more weight in matching.
Unicode normalization forms standardize the character sequence
involving accents. There is also information in the unicode character
database to case-convert and decompose the character.
Example word: VOLAPÜK
The character Ü is U+00DC, and has a lowercase mapping to U+00FC, and
that one has a decomposition entry mapping to U+0075 U+0308. U+0075
is "plain ASCII" u. So odds are that searching using any of the
characters along this path, will give a match.

Non-word characters, such as apostrophes, quotes, dashes etc. are in
general just used to separate words. So, if the input has N’Ko
(such that the actual characters is recognized), it will be indexed
as N <nonword> Ko, or even just N Ko, and you should be able to get a
match searching for anything from the original form (using the
correct character) to queries like
N-Ko
N at Ko
N'Ko  (using the ASCII character)
even "N Ko"

Note, that these mappings does in no way imply that "volapuk" is the
same as "Volapük", or that "n'ko" is the same as "N’Ko". They are
only matching mechanisms for the users convenience. Adding them to
registry, though, would, in my opinion, indicate that they have at
least a higher degree of equivalence than desired.

One example of undesirable effects would be "Norwegian Bokmål"
mapping to "Norwegian Bokmal". The first one translates to roughly
"book speech", while the latter says "book template". Adding this to
the registry would actually gives web-search uses wanting a "book
template" a non-relevant result, as there is no way for the web-
search indexer to know that the instance of the word in this place
was a normalized version of the previous entry, and not what it
acually said. I would imagine that similar examples of words changing
meaning with accent removal can be found in other languages.

The fundamental problem as I see it, is that the registry uses xml
entities in a non-xml context, thus relying on convention to
represent unicode characters. For any outside parties, such as web
crawlers/indexers, this will look like embedded words (containing
only the characters representing hex-values), and not the desired
characters. If the characters had been represented in a standard
form, the search engine would have resolved most of the issues
raised. (Of course, this does not relate to "local" searching using
your editor's or OS' search/text match capabilities)

So, to give the best possible search experience (using web-search
engines), we should either author the registry using (x)html, xml or
another standardized markup that correctly interprets the entities,
or use a text encoding that allows the correct characters to be
represented more directly, such as UTF-8.

The conclusion of this is what web-search engines have been preaching
for years to content producers. Represent you content in the best
possible semantic form, and let the search engine worry about
matching user intent with content. This process is just made worse by
well meaning content producers trying to be helpful.

Now, onto your concrete suggestions. I support expanding parentheses
descriptions containing true variants, while leaving parenthesis that
add qualifiers. I also naturally support fixing the problem/error/
typo with 'Amis.
I support replacing semantically wrong characters with the more
correct alternatives.
I do not support adding "dumbed down" descriptions in an effort to
normalized the original description, for reasons given above.

But this is of course only relevant if we are able to use a text
encoding like UTF-8, or go to a markup language that support the
entities in use. If neither of those options are possible, I will
just have to live with the ugliness and impurity of the registry.

Sorry for the long post,
--
Vidar Larsen
Search developer