ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Jun 9 19:17:34 CEST 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Peter Constable wrote:
> The potential concern I see is that, while for N<char>ko we're talking
> about two alternatives, the general issue is one of providing alternate
> spellings that someone might search on, and in some cases there may be
> many different spellings, even without getting into the issue of
> alternate languages from which names may be derived.

+1

Also, please remeber that the registry in question will be used by
non-linguists, many of whom have no notion of the differences between
apostrophes.

More importantly, they do not care.  If it's a glyph that they can not
enter, they will either enter what they can, or they will omit it
entirely.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc