ISO 639 - New item approved - N'Ko

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Jun 9 18:46:37 CEST 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Michael Everson wrote:
> At 00:33 -0700 2006-06-09, Mark Crispin wrote:
>> In that case, stipulate that the names are in English and restricted to
>> ASCII.
> I object to restricting to ASCII. A lot.

Why?  This is only for one of the possible names.  Its purpose is to have
a single, well-defined form of the name; one which the rules of its
formation are so well-understood that that name can be looked up without
worrying about the subtle differences between various alternatives to the
ASCII ' .

This does not preclude other forms.  I'm certainly not advocating that
this be the mandatory form to display to users.

Put another way:

Regardless of which which Unicode character is ultimately selected for the
third glyph in the subject language, the ASCII (and presumably English)
name N'Ko should be registered too.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc