Language and script encoding standards

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 25 16:42:15 CEST 2006

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> One of the things we've run into is that romanization (and in general,
> transliteration schemes and other big orthographic variations, like
> polytonic) tend to cut across countries instead of be within them. In
> retrospect, it's too bad that we didn't allow for both script plus
> orthographic variants in second position, since it would have worked
> better with fallback. Ah well, hindsight is 20:20....

Statements like the above concern me, because they perpetuate the notion
that the order of subtags within a tag is crucial to correct matching,
and that it's possible to create a sutable ordering: A is more important
than B is more important than C...

We just delayed RFC 3066bis for a long time so we could put out a draft
on matching which largely solves this problem.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA