Language and script encoding standards

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jul 25 00:00:37 CEST 2006

Mark Davis scripsit:

> I didn't understand your message. What I was saying was that
> romanization is more important, typically, than country. That is,
> for fallbacks, the best formulation would have been to put the
> transliteration system before the country, because it typically makes
> a much larger difference in the outcome.

Ah, I see.  My response to that is that neither transliteration scheme
nor national variety is much of a barrier in general, and I doubt it
matters which one you put first.  The language barrier is the biggest,
followed by the script barrier (modulo some really oddball cases: I can
probably read a text in a language closely related to mine better than
my own language in a wholly unknown script).  The exact transliteration
scheme only becomes important when writing automatic transliterators.

--
When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)
rude, I often set up math problems for          cowan at ccil.org
myself and solve them as a way to pass          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the time.      --John Jenkins