Language and script encoding standards

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jul 24 05:27:50 CEST 2006

Mark Davis scripsit:

> One of the things we've run into is that romanization (and in general,
> transliteration schemes and other big orthographic variations, like
> polytonic) tend to cut across countries instead of be within them. In
> retrospect, it's too bad that we didn't allow for both script plus
> orthographic variants in second position, since it would have worked
> better with fallback. Ah well, hindsight is 20:20....

I don't actually think so.  Most romanization schemes have variants,
and most people who can use one can use them all, with the exception
of a few special cases like Pinyin as taught to native Chinese speakers.

--
I could dance with you till the cows            John Cowan
come home.  On second thought, I'd              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
rather dance with the cows when you             cowan at ccil.org
came home.  --Rufus T. Firefly