REVISED-MODIFY LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "Ethi"

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 4 00:57:59 CEST 2006

Based on the responses so far, *for Ethiopic only*, there seems to be
general agreement that we should add both Description fields, one with
the modifier letter U+02BB and one with the plain ASCII apostrophe.

This does not extend to the other subtags that currently have one type
of apostrophe or another.  Some list members preferred to add the U+02BB
version here because it was specified in ISO 15924, others because it
was the "correct" character.  Because other subtags -- based on other
standards -- do not necessarily have the "correct" apostrophe, these
people would disagree and there would be no consensus at present for
changing them.

When Michael returns, I invite him to suggest the "correct" apostrophe
or modifier letter for Ol Cemet' (currently indicated with an ASCII
apostrophe, which I know he dislikes) and change it accordingly in ISO
15924 so the script subtag "Olck" can be added with the description(s)
people want to see.

I've left the File-Date and Added dates the same as in the previous
modification form, but note that all dates in outstanding proposals
should be updated on the day they are submitted to IANA.

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2006-06-28
%%
Type: script