codes for transliterated languages

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 20 00:33:27 CET 2006

It might help if you gave some specific examples.

Abusing private-use country IDs to indicate transliteration is decidedly
not a good idea. It completely goes against the semantics most typically
associated with region-dependent distinctions (dialect, spelling) and is
quite inadequate to reflect writing-system distinctions. (How would you
tag Arabic transliterated into one of the dozen or so scripts of India?)
If you want to indicate something like Russian in Latin transliteration,
something building off "ru-Latn" (as permitted in 3066bis) makes much
more sense.

Peter Constable

Russian. These