language subtag registration request: Region EU

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 16 03:36:05 CET 2006

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald at alvestrand dot no> wrote:

>> The point is that you will be hard-pressed to find a sovereign nation
>> that has existed for the past 54 years and has changed its boundaries
>> so often and so significantly over that time frame, which is short in
>> terms of archival storage of electronic data.
>
> Yugoslavia?

Right.  Even though the political upheaval that caused Yugoslavia to
break apart ultimately led to a completely new name and code element
(CS), it is true that the size and nature of the country represented by
"YU" changed dramatically from between 1991 and 2003.

Good catch.  I withdraw support for this argument.

I maintain the other argument, that RFC 3066bis does not provide for
this group to register a region subtag that is not officially assigned
as a "country" in ISO 3166, or as a "region" in UN M.49.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA