Language Subtag Registration Form: variant "signed"

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 28 23:11:11 CET 2006

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Addison Phillips

> I think that it is inappropriate for sign languages to be forced to
use the
> "sgn-XXX" extlang form for language tags now or in the future...

I quite agree with all your sentiments. I suggested using "sgn-..." more
as a reflection of my willingness to go along with that much of the
precedent we have. I never liked it for the same reasons you give, but
I'd live with it. It was because I had gotten the impression that we
wouldn't likely achieve a consensus to get rid of "sgn-..." that I took
that as a starting point.

> (Note: this
> is not the same as the "sgn-XX" form previously registered. I am
talking
> about using extended language subtags, not region subtags)

It's probably clear by now that I have rather stronger feelings against
the "sgn-XX" convention than I do a "sgn-xxx" convention.

Peter Constable