Sign languages (was: Re: additions to ISO 639 and the IANA language subtag registry)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 27 02:05:14 CET 2006

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> Blech! So you want to have "sgn-GH" for 'Ghanian SL' and something
>> like "sgn-GH-admrb" for 'Adoromobe SL', even though the two are
>> probably quite distinct, if even related at all. That will work
>> beautifully (NOT!) with left-prefix matching algorithms.
>
> Such algorithms are not the reason we have language-tags, I am sure.

Such algorithms will dramatically improve the usefulness of language
tags, by allowing applications to match and filter them in a standard
way that humans will understand.  The benefits are already
well-understood for non-manual languages.

I get the feeling the only acceptable way to tag sign(ed) languages will
be to use Michael's scheme from 2001, which -- because of tags like
"sgn-MY-B" and "sgn-GH-EP" and "sgn-MX-YUC" and "sgn-eng-US" -- will
require a *completely different syntax* for tags that begin with "sgn".
That will be a knotty problem for those who choose to participate in
LTRU II.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA