Sign languages

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Feb 26 03:47:49 CET 2006

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> If "sgn-US" unquestionably meant ASL, we wouldn't be having most of this
> discussion.

Which is why I'm not having this discussion and you are, I guess.  :-)

It means ASL because, as you and Michael say, it was registered to mean that.

> The difference is, I've never heard anyone state before that we have to
> retain "yue" because people may have already used it in language tags.
> You said this was possibly the case for "sgn-CR".

SLs are the only group of languages that were assigned tags in a generative
way in RFC 3066.  They just aren't comparable with any spoken-language cases.

--
I could dance with you till the cows            John Cowan
come home.  On second thought, I'd              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
came home.  --Rufus T. Firefly                  cowan at ccil.org