Language Tag Reviewer

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Feb 20 16:48:51 CET 2006

At 05:58 -0500 2006-02-20, Scott Hollenbeck wrote:

>Sorry, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that an IESG-appointed
>expert should be paying attention to the ongoing work that describes the
>expert's role.

You may not think so, but the revision of this RFC has been such a
horror and a nightmare and I told EVERYONE that I was not going to
pay any attention to the revision until it was done.

This does NOT mean that it shouldn't have been obvious to people that
if the language tag reviewer's role were being changed to add
additional pointless administrative duties, that they might have
mentioned it to the existing reviewer before springing it on him as
you did.

(If you make me responsible for running the discussion list, I
*promise* to summarily ban trouble-makers without attention to the
arcane rules which have kept us forced to put up with known
trouble-maker for over a year.)

>Note, too, that I did send a public request for you to get in touch on the
>ietf-languages list.  You didn't reply to that message.

No, Scott. I didn't. On 17 February when you sent that to the list, I
was in the Union of Myanmar where POP3 access to my mail was illegal.
I was working hard there on solutions the the problems they have been
having with the Unicode encoding for their national script, as well
as gathering data on about 70 characters needed to add to the Unicode
Standard to support minority languages in that country. I am sorry
that this was inconvenient for your telephone meeting. :-/