Language Tag Reviewer

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Feb 19 16:03:09 CET 2006

Scott,

I have been working in Thailand and in Myanmar and have not had good
internet access.

What is this crap? I mean it. I have put up with all sorts of
nonsense on the IETF languages list for YEARS, and I have repeatedly
had to BEG people to take off-topic materials elsewhere. I have
repeatedly made it clear that my interest in language-tag reviewing
is limited to LANGUAGE-TAG REVIEWING. Who is now asking me to take an
administrative role in running the discussion list?

Are you prepared to have me summarily ban people from the list when
they Waste Our Time?

I didn't think so.

Please outline the reasons why I should have to take on additional
responsibilities. Who is it in IESG that is making decisions about
this? Do you people care a damn about the actual linguistic reasons
we have language tags at all? Does it seem reasonable in ANY WAY to
you that I should leap up with alacrity to take up administrative
duties on this list, when this is the FIRST TIME I have ever heard of
it?

"Sorry to be a pest"? Do you people care about content at all? It
doesn't appear so. You appear to care about your rules and your
procedures more than the actual   matter at hand, which is linguistic
entities and tags for them.

I am a busy man. I am an expert in my field and mostly I guess people
are happy with the work I have done with RFC 1766 and RFC 3066.
Harald Alvestrand is perfectly well capable of moderating his own
list as he has done for lo these many years. I am perfectly well
capable of reviewing language-tags. Why should I be saddled with
additional responsibilities:? Will Harald be taking on reviewing
duties as well?

If you want to sack me because I don't want more crap coming into my
in-box, you are welcome to sack me. But I will not resign, and you
will have to sack me under protest, and I will probably make a stink
about it. This is the height of idiocy.

Note that I have taken your private e-mail and put it on the
discussion forum, because this is a matter that ought to be discussed.

Yours,
Michael Everson