[newsml-2] japanese scripts (was: person/name given and family elements)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 12 19:47:18 CET 2006

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

> Regarding a script subtag for the Japanese Kanji/Kana mixture, my
> personal oppinion would be to just leave the script subtag out. If a
> tag "Japn" existed, the only real purpose for it would be to change
>
> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: ja
> Added: 2005-10-16
> %%

> %%
> Type: language
> Subtag: ja
> Added: 2005-10-16
> Suppress-Script: Japn
> %%

Note that the tag originally present in draft copies of ISO 15924, and
subsequently removed, and now suggested to be re-added, is Jpan, not
Japn.

> So there is really absolutely no point to add such a tag to actual
> data, and only a limited benefit (formal completeness and consistency
> of the registry) for introducing such a script tag (at least from the
> point of view of RFC3066bis; there may be other needs for "Japn").

Formal completeness and consistency are good things.  I support this
request.  Japanese is the only language I can think of that is
customarily written in a writing system that cannot be represented by a
single ISO 15924 code element, and consequently cannot be represented in
an RFC 3066bis tag.  It's already been established that situations may
arise where it is desirable to explicitly include the Suppress-Script in
a tag.

> Given that, we could actually add "Japn" as a script all by our own,
> just for that specific purpose (or at least we could propose to do so
> in case another attempt to add it to the ISO script standard fails).

No, we can NOT do that.  Please read Section 3.5 of draft-registry
again: "Only subtags of type 'language' and 'variant' will be considered
for independent registration of new subtags."  I fear this point has
been lost on a great many people.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA