Framing the Alpha-3 turf

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Dec 21 16:41:22 CET 2006

H?vard  Hjulstad scripsit:

> The ISO 639 series will in some not very distant future be published as
> a "Standard as database". The exact format is still to be decided, but
> a couple of things are certain: (1) The "format" of ISO 639 (including
> the division into parts) will change. (2) The administrative routines
> around ISO 639 will change.

I hope this does not mean that the information in 639 will cease to be
available without charge.  (ISO 3166, e.g., publishes HTML and plain
text versions of its database without charge, and charges for the
Microsoft Access versions.)

> More information about this will be circulated as soon as things get
> more sorted out.

Excellent, and thanks for the preliminary heads-up.

John  Cowan  http://ccil.org/~cowan   cowan at ccil.org
'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull
as hard as ever you can, it is my opinion that your acquaintance in the
large-pattern leather ulster' (and by this he meant the Crocodile) 'will
jerk you into yonder limpid stream before you can say Jack Robinson.'
        --the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake