Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c Resubmitted!

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 19 19:03:06 CET 2006

"If there is just one concept to be declared, then IMO users would be much
better
off having agreement on one best practice as to how to tag the content
rather
than saying people can tag in two different ways that are assumed to be
equivalent in spite of principles that argue otherwise. One leads to
interoperability; the other hinders, even opposes, interoperability."

You cannot write or, and?
for lit in this period?
It is easier to have proper software at your end that to guarantee web users
of teacher web, etc. have hosts where they can include multiple tags.  (Some
schools do not even have computers in fact; and one school I subbed in that
did have computers tended not to resolve problems with the internet part of
its service till after 3 pm perhaps since the kids in computer classes
needed to work on typing on a computer and would have had access to the
internet if they could figure the passwords had the internet been there)

What happens to en and oed en?  Do these tags hinder interoperability?

16th century lit is already provided in both languages you know (1th c and
modern), some of it is modernized by modern authors.
But the search engines bring up both; I wish they would distinguish it for
me but they do not.
I assume they still would bring up both but could now indicate the variety;
the third variety would be a translation into Modern French which should be
tagged as such too somehow, maybe a plain fr tag would help there.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com