(no subject)

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 18 20:10:37 CET 2006

Hi, French in the 17th and 16th century varies.

For example, French in one document may follow different conventions than
French in another document.

The academie is formed in the 17th century to try to stabilize usage.

But you can get one variety in French from the Americas, even at the end of
the century, another variety in French from the Court circles and literary
salons, and so on (there are varieties between these two extremes); and it
varies as well by author.

That was the purpose of asking for the two options fr and frm; another
option was to allow the content author to freely choose to have his or her
French document identified as fr in the end of the 16th century if he/she
preferred that it come up in a search for French documents.

Of course, the author can ignore the current tag recommendations (override
them is how I prefer to say it) and have the French identified as fr in the
end of the 16th century or as frm in the 17th century if he/she sees fit.

In fact, the main reason to give both tags to the 1606 dictionary as it
includes French vocab from earlier dates and yet it is now the 17th century
not the 16th; so in some cases an earlier document  whose French could be
referenced by that dictionary would be tagged frm and a later would be
tagged fr

I guess I have just uttered a heresy that makes no sense.

My apologies.

I don't feel like explaining this again.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com