16 new updates, plus a note on Kirghiz/Kyrgyz

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 17 21:38:31 CET 2006

The next 16 posts from me will be modification notices to update the
Description field of language subtags whose English name has been
changed in ISO 639-2.  The new names are those posted on the ISO 639-2
Change page (http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_changes.php)
as of December 17, 2006 at 20:15 UTC.

Additionally, both the Change page and the regular code-list pages show
the names "Kirghiz; Kyrgyz" in that order for code elements "ky" and
"kir", and the ASCII text file still shows only "Kirghiz".  On December
1 I prepared, and Michael submitted to IANA, a modification notice that
put the new name "Kyrgyz" ahead of the existing name "Kirghiz" on the
basis of an e-mail from Håvard Hjulstad which said:

> Based on a change request the ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee has
> decided the following:
>
> Identifiers: ky & kir
> English names: Kyrgyz; Kirghiz
> French name: kirghize
> Indigenous name: kyrgyz tili (i.e. кыргыз тили)

The ISO 639-3 draft files still show only "Kirghiz".

On the LTRU list there is a discussion about treating the first
Description field in the Registry as reflective of the "reference name"
associated with the language, but I really don't know what we are
supposed to do when an e-mail announcement is sent specifying one order
and then the online references are updated with the opposite order.  At
present I have not prepared a modification notice to switch the order.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/