Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c Resubmitted!

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Sat Dec 16 21:49:13 CET 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, CE Whitehead wrote:
> I'm sorry to see you all so rigid and unwelcoming of such codings when you
> have got  OED  for English.  I want to remind you that other languages on
> the web have rights besides English which is only a lengua franca and not an
> official language.

I doubt very much that statements such as the above will convince anyone.
Such accusations are the earmark of someone who is unable to present a
compelling technical argument, and is unwilling to undergo the necessary
process.

Even more bizarre is the claim that languages have rights.

Humans have rights.  Some claim that non-human animals have rights;
although I note that non-human animals do not respect the purported rights
of other non-human animals.

Languages are not in any sense sentient beings, and have no rights.
Humans which represent a constituency for a language have rights.

What evidence do you have for your accusation that ietf-languages violates
humans rights?  That is a very serious charge.  Such charges require
substantiation.

If you expect to get favorable results for your proposal, you must undergo
the process.  In particular, you must be prepared to present, defend,
compromise, and otherwise work within the process.

Try doing that, and stop making nonsensical accusations.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.