Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 16:53:34 CET 2006

On 12/14/06, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> All modern, though "maske" has an extra silent -e, and "whilome" is a
> lexical item extinct in all modern English dialects.

I hardly see how you can say with a straight face that a selection
with vocabulary unknown in modern English is all modern. Between the
first and second edition of the Webster's "Unabridged", they removed
all words extinct in English by 1750, so even armed with a large
unabridged English dictionary, Early Modern English vocabulary may
still evade readers.

> I don't know what value there would be in marking this as anything but "en".

Then what was the point of encoding the different German
orthographies, or Latf and Latg? I personally find Early Modern
English in full original spelling is a bar to reading a text equal to
dealing with Fraktur.