Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 15 08:09:29 CET 2006

Hi -

So, having beaten *that* point into the ground, can we return to
the question of registering specific subtags for the two variants
of French described in the registration request?

It appears to meet the requirements from RFC 4646.  The argument
against these specific registration requests seems to be that
the language in question is insufficiently distinct from today's
French.  However, it seems to me that the distinction is at least
as great as that involved in "OED" English. The point is that
someone working with these language variants believes he has
a legitimate need to distinguish these variants, and believes
that the distinction should be available to others. Unless the participants
on this list believe the request identifies the same language
variant as an existing subtag, if the request is well-formed and
the references are in order, I think we should accept it, although
I also think that using a string that doesn't have generic connotations
might shorten the discussion.

Randy