Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 01:22:17 CET 2006

"We do not need to distinguish Early Modern English from English.

See this text by Spenser:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~rbear/queene1.html#Canto%20I.

It's in Early Modern English. Any educated English speaker can read it. It
would be easier for many if the spelling were modernized, but apart from
some syntax and vocabulary, it's English. "
O.k. this is the case with 16th century French too.  Every educated French
speaker can read it; it is just the spelling that is different.

16th century French is thus something like 16th century English time-wise.

You only tag Middle English because it is the dialect spoken by Chaucer, or
by the author of the Sir Gawaine poems (two different dialects).  It's not
our dialect I do not think.  I do believe our dialect is Scottish dialect (I
still call it that; otherwise known as Scots) is not so different from
Modern English even in the 14th century; see the ballad below which may
contain stanzas composed over several different time periods about an event
circa 1290:
http://www.skell.org/explore/text/spensT.html
http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/63.html  (note the dialect dates have a
long range)

The ballads all got published in the 18th century alas so that can also help
explain the almost exact resemblance to Modern Scots.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com