Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 01:30:12 CET 2006

Hi, first, regarding your comment:
"
>If French people in the New World were writing what looks more like
>Middle than Modern French during the 16th century, tag it as frm;
>if some earlier French is relatively modern, tag it as fr.  If you
>are worried about undue constriction of search, use both."

Both is not always an option when specifying the main language of a
document; this option is only available in a meta tag (which you cannot use
if your document is embedded in the body of another).
Also 16th century French has changed from 15th and 16th century French
continues in the 17th century but with New World vocabulary.

"> > Is it possible to describe these language variants without using
> > centuries?"
The century tag is mnemonic and I think it works for French, is appropriate.
  But I am going with a tag that is more French-sounding so it will not
automatically be applied to other languages!
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com