[Ltru] More about Description fields

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Dec 14 00:17:07 CET 2006

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> I've always referred to the Celtic language of Scotland as Scots Gaelic as
> opposed to Scots dialect which is English spoken as the Scottish folk speak
> it.

"Scots" is not a productive adjective any more, so "Scottish Gaelic"
is more modern than "Scots Gaelic".  As for Scots: well, whether it's a
dialect of English or not depends on what century it is!  In any case,
it's definitely different from the Scottish variety of (Standard) English,
though they share some common elements and sometimes function as H and
L languages in diglossia.

As for "Irish Gaelic", I see no reason why that should offend anybody.
It is both historical and factual.

--
The Imperials are decadent, 300 pound   John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
free-range chickens (except they have   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan