Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 16:45:28 CET 2006

Don said:

> If all that fails and the time references really
> are the only ones that are appropriate, then perhaps 16me-s and 17me-s
> (or 16ème-s & 17ème-s) would be better indicated.

Évidemment!  It seems to me that if the tags are indended to be
purely specific to French, to help modern French speakers, then they
should be in French - 16mes or whatever, rather than 16thc.

Whereas if they are indended to be part of a general system covering
all centuries and all languages then that system needs to be
worked out - 16thc or 1500s or whatever - along with recommendations
on use - as to the circumstances in which tags such as fr-1500s or
frm-1600s are tolerated or even encouraged.

Caoimhín