Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Dec 13 15:45:03 CET 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:11:49PM +0000,
 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote
 a message of 101 lines which said:

> >But it also doesn't mean that every century would get its variant;
>
> Why on earth not? Century-based subtags would obviously be part of a system.

Whitehead proposed a *specific* proposal: encoding *two* variants of
French. As far as I understand, he never suggested to encode a
*generic* mechanism of variants-based-on-century (which would not
please the muslims or the jews, I believe).

I suggest to comment his proposal based on what he requested, not
based on assumptions about where they *may* lead.

> And I have argued that arbitrary calendar cutoffs don't make sense.
> 1x00-1x99? Why not 1x50-1y11?

Again, I do not think that Whitehead was suggesting to always encode
variants based on centuries. He suggested that the century borders are
more or less significant for French in this period.