Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Wed Dec 13 14:32:31 CET 2006

The approach to look for a functional description for the subtag is a good idea. Perhaps terms in French that are used to describe the periods in question? If all that fails and the time references really are the only ones that are appropriate, then perhaps 16me-s and 17me-s (or 16ème-s & 17ème-s) would be better indicated.

On the argument that generic century codes might reduce the amount of application and discussion of other specifications for other languages, that is probably marginal at best and wishful thinking beyond that. Some examples have already been brought up. Another one is - what if in a particular context another calendar is the preferred reference?

Don