Alemanic & Swiss German

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Fri Dec 1 20:16:14 CET 2006

Peter Constable wrote:

> go to the ISO 639-3 Web site, get a report listing the given ID,
> follow the “more…” link to the documentation for that particular
> ID and look at *all* the information provided there, including the
> links to external sources. (You can get to these documentation pages
> directly using URLs such as the following example, for “gsw”:
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=gsw.)

I tried that for the given link, and found that "gsw" is used in CH
(Schwyzerdütsch), AT + DE + LI (Alemannisch), FR (Alsatian listed as
dialect).  The FR case is allegedly related to "Christian", but I'd
guess that the usage isn't limited to any religion.

Same situation as at the time when "gsw" was added, apparently gsw-FR
is the best available tag for Alsatian.  Nothing is wrong with the
info in the language subtag registry, it doesn't mention Alsatian.

Frank