Request for variant subtag: western

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 30 03:38:06 CEST 2006

Please explain. Your mail to others does not AFAICT address the specific point I make here: if you revise a variant subtag by adding additional prefixes, we have no means to document what the denotation of some given prefix + variant combination is.

E.g. suppose the entry for a variant subtag “western” were revised to include the prefix “en”, and some people start using it to denote some variety of English spoken in Cornwall while others start using it to denote some variety of English spoken in Western Australia, then there’s a mess.

Peter