hakka + xiang

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Wed Aug 30 01:24:01 CEST 2006

Peter Constable wrote:

>> there's no way to get rid of the zh-min cruft.

> We really should deprecate the zh-min-* tags since "min" in
> 639 has nothing to do with Chinese, and in 3066ter the
> language(s) in question will get a different tag generatively.

When that happens the zh-min-* will be automatically deprecated.

> For the same reason, I'd deprecate zh-hakka and zh-xiang when
> we get to 3066ter -- generatively-produced tags will be
> available for those at that time.

Yes, same procedure wrt the deprecation.

> We already deprecated zh-guoyu prior to 3066bis.

It got a pointer to zh-cmn, under the old rules.  Under the
new rules let's just wait until 639-3 and 3066ter implicitly
handle the hakka / min / xiang cases.  Probably we'll see it
in the first 3066ter LTRU bulk update draft.

If you want to deprecate zh-min explicitly before "date C"
we'd have to check if that's allowed.  And we'd need a rule
allowing to add the relevant Preferred-Value a.s.a.p.

Frank