Request for variant subtag: western

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Aug 30 00:30:27 CEST 2006

Michael Everson scripsit:

> If a distinction between Western and Eastern Armenian needs to be
> approved, codes for those languages should be requested.

They are not distinct languages: they are dialects.  There is no
requirement that dialect subtags be unique to the language they are
used with.

> If you want a great swath of generic terms like Eastern Western
> Northern Southern Northeastern Northwestern Southeastern Southwestern
> Inner Outer Upper Lower Hill Plain Valley Cave Desert Jungle Central
> Peripheral Prestige Vulgar Urban Rural Village Town Male Female Adult
> Adolescent Child Sacred Profane Loal Diaspora etc etc etc etc etc etc
> etc etc etc etc etc, add them to 3066ter. This list is endless.

The process under both 3066bis and 3066ter for adding variant
(dialect, sociolect, etc. etc.) subtags is the process Mark is
employing.

--
In my last lifetime,                            John Cowan
I believed in reincarnation;                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in this lifetime,                               cowan at ccil.org
I don't.  --Thiagi