Request for variant subtag: western

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Aug 30 00:04:14 CEST 2006

At 17:51 -0400 2006-08-29, John Cowan wrote:
>Michael Everson scripsit:
>
>>  I don't like this kind of thing at all. There are many compass
>>  directions and subdivisions thereof (North by Northwest etc), and
>>  there are hills and valleys and there are various levels of altitude.
>>  There is Hill Mari and Forest Mari. This list of vague generic
>>  (sub)tags like this is pretty endless.
>
>Very true, and as we need them, we can add them.  The alternative is
>inventing new language-specific variant subtags when generic ones
>reflect standard practice, as with Armenian and many other languages.
>
>This should be approved.

If a distinction between Western and Eastern Armenian needs to be
approved, codes for those languages should be requested.

If you want a great swath of generic terms like Eastern Western
Northern Southern Northeastern Northwestern Southeastern Southwestern
Inner Outer Upper Lower Hill Plain Valley Cave Desert Jungle Central
Peripheral Prestige Vulgar Urban Rural Village Town Male Female Adult
Adolescent Child Sacred Profane Loal Diaspora etc etc etc etc etc etc
etc etc etc etc etc, add them to 3066ter. This list is endless.