hakka + xiang (was: Request for variant subtag "boont")

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Aug 29 23:11:40 CEST 2006

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> If the intention is to clean up grandfathered zh-tags it
> could in theory make sense.  In practice this won't work,
> there's no way to get rid of the zh-min cruft.

We are not able to clean up zh-hakka and zh-xiang in the
current state of things.  We can and should deprecate them
when 3066ter arrives.

> The boont + scouse cases are similar, if a parser has to
> handle en-GB-oed anyway, then removing boont and scouse
> doesn't help much.

These really are language variants, though, unlike Hakka
and Xiang which are separate languages (encompassed by
the Chinese macrolanguage).

> Maybe you could say that "oed" only affects en-GB, and
> boont and scouse variants would allow to parse all other
> en-tags (excl. en-GB) in the main code path.  That's an
> implementation detail, should it affect the registry ?

I think so, yes.  Current implementations are entitled to ignore
redundant entries altogether.

--
Only do what only you can do.               John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
  --Edsger W. Dijkstra's advice