New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Aug 24 20:24:22 CEST 2006

I think you may have gotten the numbering wrong. You say:

5) Under option #2, we just add 'rkn' as a new language subtag, end
of story.  This leaves users to figure out when and whether to use it
as opposed to any of the 11 existing language subtags.  This is the
situation with "no" vs. "nb" and "nn" today.

Under #2, all of a sudden 'ams', 'kzg', 'ryn', 'tkn', 'okn', 'ryu', 'xug',
'yox', 'mvi', 'rys', 'and' 'yoi' and everything using as the language subtag
would be deprecated; a big change.

Under #1, we just add 'rkn' as a code. We would add information to the
registry that it has become a macro language for 'ams', 'kzg', 'ryn', 'tkn',
'okn', 'ryu', 'xug', 'yox', 'mvi', 'rys', 'and' 'yoi'; it is then up to
people implementing fallback algorithms to add that information, but it
doesn't cause any subtags to be deprecated.

I still don't understand something. Why should the existence of a
macrolanguage that contains X make the difference between whether "X-...."
is valid or not? As I understand it, the difference between cmn and hak, for
example, is no less than the difference between de and nl; why should we say
that cmn-CN and hak-CN must have the prefix zh-, where we don't require a
prefix for de and nl?