New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 05:25:19 CEST 2006

What appeals to me is most is #1 - and addressing the stability problem
of macrolanguage inclusion by means of an online database of
macrolanguage inclusions for both current and obsoleted codes.
Applications would include an internal copy of the database which they
would update from the Internet at intervals.

That is essentially what I was advocating in the old message below from
2003.  At the time I was thinking of a fixed width code covering all
extant and extinct languages and macrolanguages, but the fixed width
aspect seems no longer feasible.

There was a little bit of debate at the time and it was pointed out
to me that hierarchies are not so great or generally applicable as I
was imagining.  But overall I still like the idea of atomic codes and
applications updating their inclusion tables from an online database.

Caoimhín