New item in ISO 639-2 - Zaza

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 23 18:50:13 CEST 2006

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell

> That's true, but it's been relatively stable for over a year, and with
> the publication of 639-3 reportedly just a few months away, it's not
> exactly a tabula rasa.  It's been through some review.

There are some known issues that the JAC will need to review and make decisions on in the coming months.

> > This is not a "mismatch" as you had in mind. It is a new
> > macro-language entity for which the component members were already in
> > 639-3. That's a possible scenario that will have to be considered in
> > developing 3066ter, but I don't think it is a particularly complicated
> > problem to deal with.
>
> But the macrolanguage in 639-3 doesn't just create itself, does it?
> Suppose -- this is my whole point really -- suppose this happened in the
> 3066ter era.  The Registry would contain primary language subtags "diq"
> and "kiu".  Now suppose 639-2 adds "zza" and we need to add it as well.
> We would have to reclassify "diq" and "kiu" from primary to extended,
> right?

That wouldn't get added to 639-2 without also being added to 639-3. The same group of people are involved in the maintenance of both.

> Actually, it may be a blessing in disguise that this use case occurred
> before we start working on 3066ter.

It's a variation of a general issue I already had anticipated wrt macrolanguages and extlangs.

Peter Constable