NEW-MODIFY LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "GB"

Debbie Garside md at ictmarketing.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 00:40:16 CEST 2006

Hi Kent

I think the GB issue has somewhat set a precedent.  That said, I think each
case should be dealt with on its own merits.  Whether people here feel that
this precedent should now be extended to include historical entries is a
matter for the list (I say that at risk of incurring the wrath of Doug).

I think there has, in the past, been a lack of guidance on these issues; I
am quite astonished at this lack of continuity.  However, I don't think that
the registry is the best place to do this; suffice to say I saw it as the
easiest option for not losing the GB GG JE IM relational data. I think these
code changes should be better documented within the ISO standards and I also
think that, in general, certainly within ISO 639, there are significant
moves afoot to make sure that code changes are well annotated in the future.

I don't think it is a good argument against the GB comment to say that this
type of comment was not added to FI; it just means that in this case the
change was not documented.

As I have said before, I think these changes should be documented within the
ISO standards - which brings me back to liaison.  If IETF-languages does not
inform ISO of this communities needs how do you expect ISO to react
accordingly.  It is very difficult to change things AFTER the event.

With regard to sv-SE and sv-AX, it was my understanding (through
conversations with colleagues in Stockholm) that it is generally considered
that sv-AX is a "purer" form of Swedish and this could perhaps indicate some
difference between them but perhaps that is spoken rather than written; I am
sure you know better than I.

Best regards

Debbie Garside