3066ter (Re: Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Apr 7 08:27:06 CEST 2006

John Cowan wrote:
> L.Gillam at surrey.ac.uk scripsit:
>

>> These can now be more precisely tagged from March 2006,
>> but prior to March 2006? If resources in these languages
>> were being lumped in under roa, might it also be helpful
>> to guide people away from using roa towards this increased
>> precision? Not saying include more/less in the registry,
>> though others might.
>>

> Using "roa" or "roa-GB" would be a matter of opinion: are the varieties
> spoken in the Channel Islands French, or separate languages?  Best
> practice, I think, is to avoid the collective language tags whenever
> possible, but we are in a delicate stage between 3066bis and 3066ter,
> where some documents may not be classifiable in any other way.
My opinion:
3066ter is not on the table, does not have a schedule, and may never happen.

We are not in a delicate stage between them. We are in the 3066bis regime.

My personal opinion is that when ISO 639-3 is finally approved by ISO,
it is time for the IETF to discuss whether or not an update of 3066bis
is needed to accomodate the structures that will be standardized there -
and it is my personal opinion that the result is likely to be "yes".

But this list exists, at the moment, to discuss registrations under 3066bis.

                       Harald