Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man ISO 3166-1 Codes

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Apr 3 21:42:46 CEST 2006

Marion Gunn scripsit:

> Yes, Luc, it is off-topic for most lists today -

Only the Piranha brothers, Harry and Mike, are authorized to declare
a thread off-topic on this list.

> sadly, I speak as one who [...] felt she
> had to take a stand against basing ISO 693-3 on the religously-based
> Ethnologue list and ISO 639-2 on the politically-based Library of
> Congres list [...].

These slurs are absurd, and even if they were not, what alternatives are
there, actually extant and in use today?  It isn't helpful to bemoan
the limitations of de facto and de jure standards unless you have something
else to propose.  Better to spend the energy on fixing actual, specific
problems.

--
First known example of political correctness:   John Cowan
After Nurhachi had united all the other         http://www.ap.org
Manchus, his successor Abahai (1592-1643)       cowan at ccil.org
issued an order that the name Jurchen should       --S. Robert Ramsey,
be banned, and from then on, they were all         The Languages of China
to be called Manchus.