Preliminary proposal for deprecating grandfathered tags under RFC 3066ter

John.Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Sep 30 00:27:51 CEST 2005

The following is a preliminary list of actions to address the grandfathered
tags of RFC 3066bis as soon as RFC 3066ter comes into effect.  I list them
now because I have them now and we will need them within a year or so.

Only the special case i-default and the rather useless tag zh-min will survive
grandfathered and undeprecated.

art-lojban (Lojban)
	Already deprecated in favor of jbo; no further action
cel-gaulish (Gaulish)
	New ISO 639-3 macrolanguage registration needed; then deprecate
en-boont (Boontling)
	New variant subtag needed, then change to redundant
en-GB-oed (English, Oxford English Dictionary spelling)
	New variant subtag needed, then change to redundant
en-scouse (Scouse)
	New variant subtag needed, then change to redundant
i-ami ('Amis)
	Deprecate in favor of ami
i-bnn (Bunun)
	Deprecate in favor of bnn
i-default (Default Language)
	No change
i-enochian (Enochian)
	New ISO 639-3 artificial language registration needed; then deprecate
i-hak (Hakka)
	Deprecate in favor of zh-hak
i-klingon (Klingon)
	Already deprecated in favor of tlh; no further action
i-lux (Luxembourgish)
	Already deprecated in favor of lb; no further action
i-mingo (Mingo)
	New ISO 639-3 extinct language registration needed; then deprecate
i-navajo (Navajo)
	Already deprecated in favor of nv; no further action
i-pwn (Paiwan)
	Deprecate in favor of pwn
i-tao (Tao)
	Deprecate in favor of tao
i-tay (Tayal)
	Deprecate in favor of tay
i-tsu (Tsou)
	Deprecate in favor of tsu
no-bok (Norwegian Bokmal)
	Already deprecated in favor of nb; no further action
no-nyn (Norwegian Nynorsk)
	Already deprecated in favor of nn; no further action
sgn-BE-fr (Belgian-French Sign Language)
	Part of sign language issue
sgn-BE-nl (Belgian-Flemish Sign Language)
	Part of sign language issue
sgn-CH-de (Swiss German Sign Language)
	Part of sign language issue
zh-cmn (Mandarin Chinese)
	Change to redundant
zh-cmn-Hans (Mandarin Chinese (Simplified))
	Change to redundant
zh-cmn-Hant (Mandarin Chinese (Traditional))
	Change to redundant
zh-gan (Kan or Gan)
	Change to redundant
zh-guoyu (Mandarin or Standard Chinese)
	Already deprecated in favor of zh-cmn; no further action
zh-hakka (Hakka)
	Deprecate in favor of zh-hak
zh-min (Min, Fuzhou, Hokkien, Amoy, or Taiwanese)
	No change (not really useful)
zh-min-nan (Minnan, Hokkien, Amoy, Taiwanese, Southern Min, Southern)
	Deprecate in favor of zh-min
     Fujian, Hoklo, Southern Fukien, Ho-lo
zh-wuu (Shanghaiese or Wu)
	Change to redundant