[Ltru] Tagging of silent films

L.Gillam L.Gillam at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 12:17:39 CEST 2005

An interesting discussion ......

If there is a silent movie in a different language, what does a lip reader do?
Would the audio identification be used to transform the lip movements in the
video stream? Certainly an interesting technology.

That aside, assuming a split of video and audio streams and a desire to analyse the
audio stream in isolation, what does one analyse in "silent English"? At this
level of tagging, I agree with Peter - "no linguistic content". "silent", for me,
feels like a description alongside "director" or "running time".