Scottish English

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Sat Oct 22 21:18:57 CEST 2005

John Cowan wrote:

> Dialect boundaries are vague things and don't match political
> boundaries with any reliability at all.

True.  Something like "de-hamburg" would be very fuzzy, at best
you then know that it's unrelated to say de-CH or similar - but
be careful with nl-*, AFAIK "missingsch" is also related to nl
(but that's not discussed in the current de-Wikipedia entry).

> Instead, we should register dialects using RFC 3066bis
> variant subtags, which are tailored for the purpose.

Indeed, if it's important enough the registration procedure is
no serious obsctacle, and some expert here would identify any
potential "conflict" with ISO 639-3.

                          Bye, Frank