Scottish English

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Thu Oct 20 21:38:41 CEST 2005

I can choose stop calling it Gaelic, but I deal with works from sources
outside Sony Pictures where the language is identified as "Gaelic" and
refers to Irish. I am not the person who inputs this language data into
the systems and the many people who do are generally not language experts.
I need to consider usability, not purist terminology. If I call it Irish,
I can guarantee that Irish content will be classified as Scottish Gaelic.
My dictionaries all indicate that Gaelic is a term that refers to Irish or
Scottish language so I can't exactly tell other content providers they are
wrong -- I can only tell them they are not precise.

I am not in any way suggesting that ISO should change the name of Irish to
Gaelic (Irish).

Karen Broome

Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt.ie>
10/20/2005 11:52 AM