[Fwd: RE: el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities]

John Clews scripts20 at uk2.net
Sat Oct 8 17:19:39 CEST 2005

Mark Crispin wrote, in reply to Richard Ishida:

> It's also important to note that, unlike Chinese or Korean, these
multiple  romanization systems for Japanese are non-overlapping...

That's indeed very true for Japanese, but most languages are not in that
fortunate situation, which is why something additional may be required (at
some point in time, not necessarily now) for something more than just
el-latn, ru-latn, etc.

John Clews

Subject: RE: el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities
From:    "Mark Crispin" <mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU>
Date:    Fri, October 7, 2005 3:59 pm
To:      "Richard Ishida" <ishida at w3.org>
"'IETF Languages Discussion'" <ietf-languages at iana.org

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Note also that several Japanese input systems I've used accept text in
multiple latin forms (eg. 'si' and 'shi' both work), so ja-latn would be
 an appropriate choice in such cases.

It's also important to note that, unlike Chinese or Korean, these multiple
 romanization systems for Japanese are non-overlapping; and furthermore
people routinely mix forms in these systems.  So, there is little/nothing
to be gained by labelling them as Hepburn, kunrei-shiki, Jorden-modified
shin-kunrei-shiki (an entire generation of students suffered with this
one), etc.  Fujitsu, fujitu, fuzitu, huzitu, hujitu,... it's all the same
to anyone with experience.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc