el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Fri Oct 7 16:59:19 CEST 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Note also that several Japanese input systems I've used accept text in
> multiple latin forms (eg. 'si' and 'shi' both work), so ja-latn would be
> an appropriate choice in such cases.

It's also important to note that, unlike Chinese or Korean, these multiple
romanization systems for Japanese are non-overlapping; and furthermore
people routinely mix forms in these systems.  So, there is little/nothing
to be gained by labelling them as Hepburn, kunrei-shiki, Jorden-modified
shin-kunrei-shiki (an entire generation of students suffered with this
one), etc.  Fujitsu, fujitu, fuzitu, huzitu, hujitu,... it's all the same
to anyone with experience.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc