el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities

John.Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Oct 7 06:36:07 CEST 2005

Tex Texin scripsit:

> It seems wasteful however to specify both transliteration and script, since
> script is implied by the transliteration scheme. Size of tags is somewhat a
> concern for my users. But it probably isn't a compelling argument for this
> list.

It's wasteful only if you assume that every recipient of a language tag
knows all the transliteration codes and what scripts they imply.
That's not likely.

> transliteration is more important than region/dialect

Maybe, maybe not; it depends on the language.  Greeks, at least those
young enough to use computers, can typically read four or five
el-Latn-* systems with ease.

> zh-Latn-pinyin-cn is better than zh-Latn-cn-pinyin.

Probably zh-Latn-pinyin is the sensible tag.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
And now here I was, in a country where a right to say how the country should