el-latn, ru-latn, and related possibilities

Tex Texin tex at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Oct 7 01:58:07 CEST 2005

Peter thanks I wasn't clear. My understanding is that phoneticists often use
characters from different scripts or "invent" characters which involves
adding strokes or marks to existing characters and in Unicode terms might be
feasible using combining chars. So the script might be a hodgepodge of
things representable in Unicode, but not part of a single script.

I was thinking allowing transliteration codes in the position of script
subtags eliminates the debate of what is or isn't a true script (plus saves
the need for an additional subtag, where script(s) are implied by the
translit tag). But the topic probably doesn't warrant much debate and we can
deal with it as the situation arises.

We have a similar situation today in that documents that are largely math
equations borrow from several scripts and a script tag might be ambiguous or
misleading. (Right?)

Tex Texin
Internationalization Architect,   Yahoo! Inc.