Frisian problems (was: New language subtags)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Nov 10 18:45:13 CET 2005

I think this problem is a classic example of the general principle that you
can't tell what the details of another standard will be until it's
final..... we did not commit to the integration of 639-2 before it was
published in final form, and I think we (as IETF participants) need to do
the same thing with 639-3.

We can always hope that the 639-3 writers will manage to sort out how it
makes sense to use "macrolanguages" before that.

                       Harald

--On 9. november 2005 21:19 -0700 "John.Cowan" <jcowan at reutershealth.com>